Saturday, November 20, 2004

11/20 Washington Journal (part 2)

Some guy is talking about the Tom DeLay rule change. I think that is a topic that Democrats could really hold against the Republicans, because I think even a lot of Republican people find it hypocritical and arrogant.

Richard Cohen, chief Congressional Correspont from the National Journal, is the guy's name. Someone just called in and asked why it's always Republicans that run up huge defecits. Cohen is saying that war and tax cuts might have something to do with it. Hmmm, I wonder.

Cohen just mentioned that in the 70's they passed a bill to get rid of the electoral college but it was rejected in the Senate. (Am I using words like "bill" right? I think my knowledge of Congressional vocab is woefully sub-par.)

(Oooh, book tv is on C-span 2. Very tempting, especially since Dicky Cohen isn't really setting my morning on fire. This lady is giving a speech on teaching techniques or something like that. She's not exactly a rock star. I actually think I might prefer the Cohen-meister. Back to C-Span uno.)

I can't be sure, but I think this lady from Illinois just called some Congressman a "pious face." I think that's a pretty good term for people that are crooked but still wear their religion on their sleeve.

This caller from San Francisco is talking about how important it is to call and write letters to Congressman, and not to feel like "there are a bunch of people in Washington that just run our lives, because we can be involved." That's a nice sentiment. God bless San Fran.

Here we go, a caller from Texas is asking about the anti-abortion clause that the New York Times article talked about. Props to Texas! I still don't really get it.

A little tip to C-Span viewers: when Washington Journal is on and Brian Lamb isn't the host, it's fun to imagine that he's the one playing the french horn during the segment breaks. Then during the rest of the show you can picture him sitting just off camera, waiting for the next break, his french horn in his lap.

No comments: