Friday, February 11, 2005

The Life Aquatic / Today in Virginia Legislative Affairs





I watched The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou a couple of days ago and I thought it was great. A lot of people told me that it wasn't that good, but my brother said it was amazing and I wholeheartedly agree. I thought it was funny, beautiful to look at, with a good plot, a great soundrack (today's song of the day is Life on Mars, by Seu Jorge), and plus, Bill Murray is on center stage, with a great script. What's not to love? I can't wait to watch it again.

Brian Lamb was hosting Washington Journal this morning and the segment I caught was about the possibility of making the Bush tax cuts permanent. Lamb was underlining an editorial in the Wall Street Journal saying that making them permanent is going to be difficult because of opposition from moderate and New England Republicans. Of the 10 or so callers I watched, not a single one, Democrat or Republican, wanted to make the cuts permanent. I think most people realize that there is something misguided about cutting taxes during a war.

This is from House Bill No. 2921 from the Virginia House of Representatives, a bill about adoption:

"The investigation requested by the circuit court shall include, in addition to other inquiries that the circuit court may require the child-placing agency or local director to make, inquiries as to... whether the petitioner is known to engage in current voluntary homosexual activity or is unmarried and cohabiting with another adult to whom he is not related by blood or marriage..."

Current?

"Hey Frank, how did your adoption hearing go?"
"Well, obviously, my lavender vest raised a few eyebrows, but luckily all my homosexual activity is woefully out-of-date. I mentioned a move I learned from Richard Simmons at the '76 Jazzercize Conference and they approved me on the spot. "

No comments: